The Woman I Became to Survive Is Not the Woman I Have to Remain
For a long time, I thought being strong was simply who I was.
People described me as independent, ambitious, resilient, difficult to break. I learned to carry myself, solve my own problems, protect my heart, and keep moving even when I was hurting.
But lately, I have been asking myself a difficult question:
How much of my strength was actually survival?
Sometimes, the woman people admire is the woman who learned very early that she could not afford to fall apart.
I became strong because I had to.
I learned to depend on myself because depending on others sometimes came with disappointment, humiliation, betrayal, or pain. I learned to keep certain parts of myself private because I discovered that not everyone who wanted to know me wanted the best for me.
I learned to read people.
I learned to protect myself.
I learned to leave.
I learned not to expect too much.
And somewhere along the way, I became very good at surviving.
But surviving and living are not the same thing.
I became the woman who could carry everything
Being the first daughter came with expectations I didn’t always ask for.
There were responsibilities. There were family pressures. There were moments when I felt like I had to be the strong one because somebody had to be.
And when people repeatedly see you as capable, they sometimes forget that capability doesn’t mean you don’t get tired.
People see the woman who can handle everything and start giving her more to handle.
Eventually, strength becomes an expectation.
You become the person everyone calls.
The person everyone depends on.
The person who is expected to understand.
The person who is expected to forgive.
The person who is expected to keep going.
But who takes care of the woman who is always taking care of everyone else?
I have had to ask myself that question.
And my answer is changing.
I do.
Trauma changed the way I understood people
Some wounds don’t remain in childhood.
They follow you into friendships.
They follow you into relationships.
They influence who you trust, what you tolerate, what you expect, and sometimes even what you believe you deserve.
When you grow up desperately wanting acceptance, you can become vulnerable to people who offer it.
You may stay too long.
You may overlook things.
You may give too much.
You may confuse being wanted with being valued.
You may become so accustomed to proving your worth that you don’t realize you shouldn’t have to prove it at all.
It took me time to understand that some of my choices were not because I was foolish.
Some were because I was searching for something I had always needed:
love, acceptance, safety and belonging.
That realization doesn’t excuse every decision I’ve made.
But it has taught me compassion for the woman I was.
She was trying to find her way.
I don’t want to perform anymore
There was a time when I felt I had to show people what I could do.
My intelligence.
My ambition.
My ideas.
My ability to build something from nothing.
My independence.
My dreams.
But I have learned that not everyone deserves access to those parts of me.
So now, I observe.
I don’t tell everyone everything.
I don’t announce every dream.
I don’t explain every plan.
I don’t need everyone to know what I’m building.
And I’ve realized that privacy isn’t insecurity.
Sometimes, privacy is wisdom.
I don’t need to make myself impressive to be worthy.
I don’t need to convince anyone that I am intelligent.
I don’t need to prove that I am ambitious.
I don’t need to demonstrate how much I can carry.
The right people will see me without requiring a performance.
I am learning that not everyone is my tribe
One of the hardest things to accept is that someone can be a good person and still not be good for your direction.
Not everyone you meet will share your values.
Not everyone will understand your ambitions.
Not everyone will want the same kind of life.
And that doesn’t necessarily make them bad.
Sometimes, it simply means your paths are different.
I am learning to stop forcing connections because I am afraid of being alone.
I’d rather have a small circle of people who genuinely understand me than surround myself with people who constantly make me feel like I have to shrink.
I don’t want friendships built on competition.
I don’t want relationships built on usefulness.
I don’t want people around me because they need something from me.
I want people who can celebrate me without feeling threatened by my growth.
People who can see me succeed and still feel secure within themselves.
People who don’t need me to become smaller so they can feel bigger.
And I want to offer the same thing in return.
I don’t want to carry everyone anymore
There is a particular kind of exhaustion that comes from always being the strong one.
You become so accustomed to carrying things that you forget you are allowed to put them down.
But I am learning that choosing myself is not selfish.
Creating distance from people who drain me is not cruelty.
Protecting my peace is not arrogance.
Wanting a different environment is not betrayal.
And leaving doesn’t always mean you hate the people you’re leaving behind.
Sometimes it simply means:
“I need to find myself somewhere else.”
I am beginning to understand that distance can sometimes create the space necessary to heal.
I want a life where I can breathe.
A life where I am not constantly responding to family expectations.
A life where I can build my career, write, create, travel, love, make mistakes and grow without constantly feeling responsible for everyone else’s emotions.
I want to know who I am when I am not carrying everybody else.
I am learning that forgiveness doesn’t erase the wound
There are people who have hurt me deeply.
Some of them will never fully understand what they did to me.
Some will never apologize.
Some are no longer here for me to confront.
For a long time, I thought forgiveness meant I had to stop being angry.
Now I understand it differently.
I can forgive someone and still acknowledge that what they did was wrong.
I can love someone and still admit that they hurt me.
I can grieve someone and still grieve the person I needed them to be.
Forgiveness doesn’t require me to rewrite my history.
It simply means I don’t want someone else’s actions to determine the rest of my life.
I don’t want to pass my wounds forward
Perhaps one of the deepest things trauma has taught me is that pain can travel through generations when nobody stops to confront it.
I don’t want that.
I don’t want to become cruel because someone was cruel to me.
I don’t want to humiliate people because I was humiliated.
I don’t want to make someone feel unsafe because I once felt unsafe.
I don’t want to become the person who hurt me.
And if one day I become a mother, I want to consciously choose a different kind of motherhood.
Not perfect motherhood.
Just conscious motherhood.
The kind where a child doesn’t have to earn love.
The kind where mistakes don’t cost them their dignity.
The kind where home feels like somewhere they can breathe.
But I don’t have to decide all of that today.
Right now, I am learning how to mother myself.
The woman I became was necessary
I don’t hate the woman I became.
She saved me.
She learned how to survive when I didn’t know how to do anything else.
She protected me.
She kept going.
She got me here.
So I won’t shame her for being guarded.
I won’t shame her for being independent.
I won’t shame her for being cautious.
I won’t shame her for needing boundaries.
But I also don’t want survival to be the only thing she knows.
Because there is a difference between being strong and being unable to rest.
There is a difference between independence and isolation.
There is a difference between boundaries and walls.
There is a difference between being cautious and being afraid to love.
And I want to learn those differences.
I want to live now
For the first time, I don’t want my life to be organized around what I survived.
I want it organized around what I desire.
I want peace.
I want meaningful friendships.
I want work that excites me.
I want creativity.
I want travel.
I want a home that feels safe.
I want relationships where I don’t have to constantly protect myself.
I want to laugh without guilt.
I want to rest without feeling useless.
I want to be loved without having to earn it through sacrifice.
I want to choose people because they are good for me, not because I am afraid of being alone.
I want to stop asking whether I am strong enough to survive the next thing.
I want to start asking:
What kind of life would make me happy?
Maybe that is what healing really is.
Not forgetting.
Not pretending.
Not becoming someone who was never hurt.
But slowly realizing that the person who hurt you doesn’t get to write the rest of your story.
My past is part of me.
But it is not all of me.
My trauma explains some of the things I learned.
It does not dictate everything I will become.
I am allowed to outgrow survival.
I am allowed to become softer without becoming weak.
I am allowed to receive without feeling guilty.
I am allowed to trust slowly.
I am allowed to leave.
I am allowed to begin again.
And most importantly
I am allowed to become a woman who is not defined by what she survived.
The woman I became to survive deserves my compassion.
But the woman I am becoming deserves my freedom.
And this time, I don’t want to merely survive my life.
I want to live it.
Adriel
Comments
Post a Comment